A carrot cake is so easy to make and it's a classic - one that everyone loves! You can make this delicious carrot cake recipe from scratch with our simple instructions. This recipe for carrot cake makes a loaf cake with a rich sponge, topped with delicious cream cheese icing. This easy carrot cake recipe is really easy to make in your own kitchen so you can forget about shop-bought cakes. If you're wondering how to make carrot cake, our simple carrot cake recipe comes with a handy step-by-step video showing you how to make carrot cake, which has been triple-tested by Woman's Weekly - so you know it will come out perfectly every time. Carrot cake is a great recipe for using up leftover carrots from your weekly food shop. This recipe is made with sunflower oil meaning the sponge is much lighter and is bejewelled with raisins too. And don't forget about the carrot cake icing! Topped with a simple cream cheese icing, this carrot cake is the perfect base for a birthday cake or even split into 12 for cupcakes. This recipe serves 8 people so it’s enough to feed the family if you’re having people round for a cuppa, or even for a small birthday party, because who doesn’t love a slice of carrot cake? This simple carrot cake recipe will take 1hr and 10 mins to make. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can wrap the undecorated carrot cake in a freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. Defrost before icing.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr (plus 10 mins cooling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the carrot cake:
- 175g (6oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 level tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil
- 175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g (3½ oz) raisins
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and grated
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 200g (7oz) cream cheese
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 3-4 level tbsp icing sugar
- Orange and green food colouring
- To make the carrot cake: Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the baking powder, spice and salt. Then stir in all the remaining ingredients until well mixed. Pour the mixture into a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment.
- Bake in centre of oven at 180C, gas 4 for about 1 hr, until just firm to the touch in the centre. A skewer should come out clean after being inserted into the middle.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese topping: Beat together the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Add icing sugar to taste.
- Colour a small amount of icing orange and a small amount green, and use to fill a disposable piping bag each. Spread the remaining uncoloured icing over the top of the cake.
- Cut the end off the bag with the orange icing to give a small hole, and pipe tapered zigzags, to resemble carrots. Cut the end off the green icing bag into a 'V' shape and pipe leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.