Shredded chicken is tossed with a creamy blue cheese-hot sauce dressing before being tucked into a whole-wheat tortilla in this healthy quesadilla recipe. Served with a quick carrot-and-celery slaw, this easy recipe is great for lunch or dinner but can also be cut into smaller wedges and served as an appetizer.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1½ tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (8 inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165°F, 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and shred with 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, combine blue cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons vinegar, hot sauce and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas, arranging it on the lower half of each, and fold closed.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add 2 quesadillas. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 3 to 6 minutes total. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and the remaining quesadillas.
- Combine celery, carrot and scallions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 teaspoons vinegar in a medium bowl. Serve the quesadillas with the slaw.
Serving size: 1 quesadilla & ½ cup slaw each
Per serving: 451 calories; 21 g fat(5 g sat); 4 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 34 mcg folate; 92 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 5,051 IU vitamin A; 4 mg vitamin C; 191 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 766 mg sodium; 608 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (101% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1½ starch, 1 vegetable, 3½ lean protein, 2½ fat, ½ high-fat protein