These perfectly portioned molten cupcakes combine two of your favorite things—red wine and chocolate. When cut open, this easy yet decadent dessert oozes with a gooey chocolate center that pairs perfectly with the wine-and-chocolate ganache drizzled on top.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, divided
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 6 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place 3 ounces chocolate and 4 tablespoons butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving, if needed, stirring every 15 seconds, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in 1 tablespoon wine, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Sift confectioners' sugar, flour and cocoa over the batter and whisk until smooth. Divide the batter evenly among the 6 prepared muffin cups, using about ¼ cup each.
- Bake the cakes until the edges look dry and puffed but the centers still look soft and gooey, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until firm, about 2 minutes. Place a cutting board on top of the pan and invert the cakes out onto it. If they stick, run a knife around and under them to loosen.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 ounce chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving, if needed, stirring every 15 seconds, until completely melted. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon wine. Using a thin spatula, transfer the cakes to serving plates. Drizzle the cakes with the chocolate sauce, about 1 teaspoon each. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 cake and 1 teaspoon sauce
Per serving: 280 calories; 20 g fat(11 g sat); 2 g fiber; 23 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 32 mcg folate; 118 mg cholesterol; 16 g sugars; 16 g added sugars; 427 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 19 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 124 mg sodium; 57 mg potassium
Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
Exchanges: 2 fat, 1½ other carbohydrate, ½ medium-fat protein, ½ starch