Blue Velvet Cake is perfect for a fun twist on the traditional red velvet cake with the same great taste.
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce royal blue gel paste food color
- 2 drops violet gel paste food color
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Cream Crisco and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, completely incorporating after each addition.
- In a small bowl, make a paste of food coloring and cocoa and add to mixture.
- Stir together flour and salt in a separate medium bowl, set aside.
- Pour buttermilk and vanilla into a measuring cup, set aside.
- Alternately, add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into Crisco/sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Reduce speed of mixer and stir in baking soda, making sure incorporated into batter. Then, stir in the vinegar, taking care not to beat hard or over mix.
- Distribute cake batter evenly into the three cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes have gently pulled away from the edges of the cake pans and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean..
- Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.