French Bread Dinner Rolls are crusty outside with a soft chewy center from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch.
- 1 cup Warm Water Under 110 Degrees
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 2 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Mix water, yeast, and honey in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Allow to sit for 8 minutes, until yeast becomes foamy.
- Add all of the flour, sea salt, and knead on medium speed for about 8-10 minutes or until dough pulls away from the side of bowl, and becomes smooth.
- Place dough into a well greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Fold each side of dough over onto itself on all four sides in the bowl to make a square, and recover the dough.
- Allow to rise another 45 minutes, and repeat folding the dough. This is realigning the gluten in the rolls.
- Recover dough and rise 30-45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Grease 2 (8" or 9") round cake pans, or 9x13 pan with butter.
- On a lightly floured work surface divide dough in half. Divide each half into 5. For a total of 10 rolls.
- To shape rolls tuck edges of the roll under until rolls become smooth on top and round. Place rolls seam side down into greased pan (5 in each pan if using cake pans), and cover.
- Place shaped rolls into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours, or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and remove rolls from the refrigerator while oven preheats. Allow rolls to double in size.
- Right before placing rolls in the oven mist with water.
- Bake in 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degree and bake 10-15 minutes more until rolls are brown on the outside and hollow sounding when top is tapped.
- Remove from oven, and cool 5 minutes.