This Italian Soup tastes is about to become your favorite soup! It tastes better than any restaurant at a fraction of the cost! It is super easy, seasoned to perfection and bursting with tender chicken, tomatoes, carrots, celery and macaroni enveloped by creamy Parmesan broth.
- 1 pound chicken breasts chopped bite size
- 2 cups uncooked small macaroni
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 14.5 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, NOT drained, with garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano. cumin, salt
- 1/4 tsp EACH red pepper flakes, pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half*
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in the now empty pot and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, while stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 more tablespoon olive oil, celery, red bell peppers and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes (it will be thick). Gradually stir in chicken stock followed by chicken, tomatoes, sugar, bay leaves and all remaining herbs and spices. Bring to a boil; cover, and reduce to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is completely cooked through.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until smooth followed by heavy cream/half and half. Stir in pasta. If you would like a less “chunky” soup, stir in additional broth or cream/half and half.
- Garnish individual servings with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and basil (optional) and season with salt and pepper to taste.