If you love a crispy coating on your fried chicken then this southern-style recipe is a must-try. Can be made stove-top or in a deep-fryer.
- 3 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (optional)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups canola or peanut oil
- Rinse the chicken pieces with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, and stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Soak the chicken in the milk mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the flour and seasoned salt (if using) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat completely in the flour. Shake off any excess and set the chicken aside on a rack to dry.
- Pour the oil into a deep skillet or deep fryer and heat it to 350 degrees F. Add chicken thighs and legs and cook for several minutes.
- Add other chicken pieces being careful not to overcrowd skillet. Continue cooking, turning once, until chicken pieces are golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels and serve warm or at room temperature.