This homemade marinara sauce recipe is easy to make, naturally gluten-free and vegan, and slow-simmered with the BEST tomato, basil and garlicky flavors.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1/3 cup finely-diced white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely-minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano whole tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 3 large sprigs of fresh basil
- Sauté onion and garlic: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until combined. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and black pepper, and stir to combine. Use a wooden spoon or a potato masher to gently break up the tomatoes as the sauce continues to heat. Stir in the fresh basil sprigs.
- Simmer. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and continue to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season. Remove and discard the fresh basil sprigs. Taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper, as needed. (If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can also purée it with an immersion blender until it reaches your desired consistency.)
- Serve. Then serve the sauce warm and enjoy!
Marinara Sauce Recipe | 1-Minute Video