Anyone else love Whatchamacallit candy bars? This fun copy cat Whatchamacallit candy bar recipe is about as close as you can get to the real thing!
For the Crunch Layer
- 6 cups Peanut Butter Captain Crunch Cereal
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 11 tbs salted butter
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light brown sugar
For the Crunch Layer
- Coat an 8 x 13 baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Melt 3 tbs butter in a large saucepan
- Add 4 cups mini marshmallows stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.Add 6 cups Peanut Butter Captain Crunch Cereal to the marshmallow mixture and stir until all the cereal is coated.Turn that mixture into your greased baking dish and use a piece of wax paper to press the cereal mixture down.
- In a medium sized bowl melt one stick of butter in the microwave. This should take about 50-60 seconds.To the melted butter add your sweetened condensed milk, light corn syrup and light brown sugar and whisk until combined.Place your caramel mixture in the microwave and cook on high for six minutes.You will know your caramel is done when you place a dime sized amount into a cup of ice water and it forms a ball you can roll between your fingers. If the caramel is too soft microwave it for another 30 seconds. You want it the consistency of peanut butter.Allow the caramel to cool in your mixing bowl for about 10-15 minutes so it is spreadable.Spread the caramel mixture over the peanut butter cereal mixture.
- Melt your semi sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth. Do not use the microwave to melt your chocolate chips. It will pull the moisture from the chocolate and cause it to seize up.I put my semi sweet chocolate chips in a small sauce pot and place that small pot inside a larger pot that has about a half inch of water in the bottom. Medium heat will cause the water to simmer and melt the chips inside the smaller pot as the damp heat flows around it.Once your chocolate has melted, use a spatula to spread it on top of the caramel mixture.Slice. Enjoy!