Authentic Elote Recipe (Mexican Street Corn) is the best grilled street corn recipe you can try this Summer! Grilled corn with generous mix of spices,mayo and mexican crema,rolled with grated cotija and served warm and fresh!
- 4 Corn Ears,shucked
- 3 Tbsp Full Fat Mayonniase
- 1/4 Cup Mexican Cream / Sour Cream
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder,divided
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper + 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Cloves Garlic,minced
- Juice of 1 Lime,divided
- 2 Tbsp melted Butter
- 3/4 Cup crumbled/grated Cotija/Feta
- 3 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
- Start by shucking the corn ears. Clean them wash and dry.
- Heat the grill(charcoal)/pan,clean the grates.
- In a mixing bowl add mayonnaise,crema/sour cream,salt,paprika/cayenne,half of chili powder,half of lime juice,garlic,butter,black pepper powder.
- Mix well.
- Apply a thin layer of this on to the corn and place the corn on the grill to get the corn cooked till the grill marks appear.
- This should take around 10 mins.
- Take the corn off the grill,then again apply generously the spread and roll the corn in cotija/feta,sprinkle the cilantro,lime juice,chili powder and serve.
- You can directly grill the corn on the grates / pan or first boil them in water with sugar and butter,drain and then grill them.
- Adjust the spice level as per tolerance. I have kept the spice level mild but you can increase it too.
- Cayenne/Paprika is optional,if you don't have it or can't find it then just use chili powder.
- Cotija gives the flavor combination along with spices and cream spread but if you cant find it then use feta/parmesan too.
- Serve while the corn is warm as it tastes better.
- You can refrigerate and reheat it in oven or microwave but the fresh taste of grilled corn will be amazing.
- I have not tried freezing it but you can check how well it works.Because of cheese and spread freezing might not work so well but you can always try and see how it works and you can reheat in oven.