If you've been looking for the ultimate comfort food, look no further, because Twice Baked Potato Casserole has delivered the perfect combination of flavor and warmth. Just imagine your favorite potatoes being crisp, greasy, cheesy, and bacony.
- 8 medium russet potatoes, about 4 pounds
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound of bacon slices, cut into bits and fried
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (if potatoes are too thick)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a small baking sheet with foil,
- Pierce the potato skins with a fork and place potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes, until tender. Remove the potatoes from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly, then slice them in half and scoop out the potato flesh into a large bowl. Add butter, salt, pepper, garlic, cream cheese and sour cream. Mix briefly to break potatoes down a little.
- Add the 1 cup cheddar cheese, milk, half of the bacon and half of the green onions. Mix until fairly well-incorporated. If the mixture seems really thick, add up to 1/2 cup milk to smooth it out to the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread potato mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese, and the remaining bacon.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes at 325°F.
- Garnish with sliced green onions before serving.