Stuffed zucchini boats with bell pepper, chickpeas, and vegan cheese! This is a simple vegetarian weeknight dinner, side dish or entrée which contains healthy wholesome ingredients. The recipe is meat-free, plant-based, relatively low-carb, and easy to make! You can use your favorite veggies and sub chickpeas for other beans or lentils.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil or water, if oil-free
- 1 small/medium onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce or more to taste
- 4-6 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt, ground pepper, and chili powder to taste
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- 1 batch vegan cheese sauce or 7 oz (200 g) store-bought vegan cheese
- Cut the zucchini in half (lengthwise) and scoop out about 2/3 of the flesh leaving a 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick border around the skin. Check the step-by-step photos above in the blog post.
- Chop the scooped out zucchini with a large knife and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell pepper, zucchini flesh, all spices, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato paste, hot sauce, and plant-based milk. Put a lid on the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegan cheese sauce or use store-bought vegan cheese.
- At the same time, preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 degrees Celsius) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add chickpeas to the skillet and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more salt/pepper/spices to taste.
- Stuff each zucchini half with the chickpea mixture.
- Add vegan cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!